The services of a library are designed to facilitate and
use of resources and satisfy the reading goals of users .
library services available throughout the world vary very much
country to country, from one area in same country to
The services basically include:-
- organising materials for ease of access and
through cataloguing ,classification ,and shelf arrangement.
- lending procedures that provide an equal opportunity
patrons to use the materials.
- guidance to the user in finding materials and using
resources and stimulation of use of materials through
,display ,reading lists,story hours,books and films
,and planned reading programmes.
- information service, both to persons who come to the
library and those who may come to the library but seek
information through telephone.
- giving assistance to cultural ,civic,and educational
organisations in finding and using materials
- sponsoring cultural programmes in the library for
children,young people and adults.
- collecting special materials of interest to the community
- borrowing materials on inter-library loan.
- making computer searches.
- extending library services to all the points of the
community through branches,deposit stations,and book mobiles.
- organising the library for easier access and specialised
services into subject departments and departments for age levels
in different type of libraries
primary school libraries
library services at primary school level should be closely
integrated with the learning & teaching process.
besides central library ,there must also be special classrooms
where a judicious collection of books & other materials like
toys, models ,pictures, photographs, etc. are collected and
other services that are normally offered are:-
- story hours,during which interesting stories are narrated
- film shows,relating to books.
- video shows both for entertainment & learning .
- book displays & exhibitions on important occasions & similar
the primary aim in offering these services is to make children
cultivate a love for & interest in books and to encourage
them to read.
secondary school libraries
a secondary school library should offer the following
(2)information and reference service
3)guidance and advice
4)preparation of reading list on any
5)current awareness service on current events,activities,
personalities,scientific and technological achievements ,anything
of national importance and international events of significance.
6)other services for spreading the message of books and
organisation of book exhibitions of appropriate occasions.
organising book talks by those who can hold the interest of
competitions-oratorical contests,debates on current issues,
essay writing,quiz programmes,etc.
7)other routine services like display of jackets of currently
acquired books,newspaper clippings,particularly those that
are of interest to students.
3)reading room service
5)display of current additions or production of lists of
6)documentation services,only on specific request,to include:
current awareness to literature,specially journals.
preparation of current lists of references indexing/abstracting
services on projects and similar others;
8)audio-visual services such as film shows,tape-slide demonstrations,etc.
9)exhibitions and special display
10)assistance in the use of the library
b)current awareness services
- lending service
- reference service
- reading room service
- assistance in the use of the library
- display of current additions or preparation of
lists of current accessions
- current contents of journals
- alerting services to important literature in select fields
- selective dissemination of information
- newspaper and clipping services
- literature search
- compilation of bibliographies on specific topics
- index to current literature
- preparation of abstracts on specific topics
- digest services
- preparation of reviews/progress/advances
on specific subjects
- document supply services
- reprographic services
- translation services
- computer-based information retrieval
- user education
- exhibition and special displays
- special lectures and demonstrations
- user oriented seminars,workshops,etc.
these services ought to be planned ,keeping the general demand
for such services and capability of library in offering these
user needs and interests are of primary concern in offering
reference and research service range from answering simple
reference questions to undertaking complex research and
2)current awareness service
routing of current issues of periodicals is one of the most
common functions of special libraries.
current acquisitions bulletins,index to current periodicals,
and title alerts are some of different types of current awareness
services provided by special libraries.
annotated lists,abstract bulletins,news summaries,digests
on other types of anticipatory service are also provided
by special libraries.
abstracting.indexing, ad preparation of digests are of paramount
importance in special libraries.
special project and retrospective files are built up in special
libraries for meeting their requirements for new product or